A blog about writing, books and authors

Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Victoria Gemmell


This week, Notes From The Blunder Ground is delighted to feature an interview with Victoria Gemmell whose debut novel, Follow Me, is due for release by Strident Publishing on 30 September.  Victoria, who lives in Renfrewshire and works as a Careers Advisor, has had short stories and flash fiction published in a range of publications, including The Puffin Review, The Grind Journal and The Bohemyth Literary Journal. 

You can read a sample of Victoria's work, with an introduction by the writer herself, under the heading 'Small Stones' further down this page.


Victoria Gemmell.



How would you describe the story of Follow Me?

It’s about 17-year-old Kat Sullivan’s search for answers following her twin sister Abby’s apparent suicide. The novel is set in the fictional Scottish town of Eddison and centres round an underground hangout called The Barn, (influenced by the famous pop artist, Andy Warhol’s ‘Factory’), which was established by art students Rob and Michael as a place where young people meet to create art and
socialise. Kat’s quest to unravel the mystery surrounding Abby’s suicide – the fifth to have taken place in Eddison in recent months – becomes increasingly fraught. Can she trust Rob and Michael to help her find the answers she needs, or will they lead her into a world from which she won’t be able to escape?
Follow Me: Released this month.


Why, and how, has the work of Andy Warhol influenced your story?

Many years ago I studied for a degree in Communication and Mass Media. During this time I completed a module in Popular Culture and wrote an essay about Andy Warhol, for which I read a lot about his life and art work in relation to contemporary society.
I think Warhol was quite perceptive in recognising what direction society was heading. He wanted his images to immediately communicate a message to us, a meaning which really goes no deeper than what is presented on the surface. I became fascinated with the story of the artist behind those images and the glamorous people who started to hang around Warhol’s ‘Factory’. It wasn’t just about the art – Warhol wanted to achieve fame and recognition, and in the end it was if he became both an icon and product of the postmodern world. This all fed into the creation of the 'Barn' in my book - the secret underground hangout created by art students.

The novel is classed as ‘Young Adult’ – did that influence the way you wrote it?

 Ultimately I wrote a story that I wanted to read. As soon as the idea for Follow Me started to form in my head I knew it was going to be a story about teenagers, and that it fell into the YA genre (a genre I love). But I wasn't consciously thinking in my head, this is for a YA ‘market’ as I think that readership extends way beyond young adults, so is hard to define. It was important for me to place young people at the heart of the mystery, handing control over to them to figure out what is going on.

Teenage suicide, a key theme of the book, has been in the news a lot. How would you sum up the book's slant on this?

Kat struggles to believe that her twin, Abby, would choose to take her own life. As she digs deeper into her sister’s life, Kat suspects the suicides may not be clear-cut.  It is the unanswered questions and mystery which drives my story. I think it explores a wide range of issues teenagers may face – a sense of isolation, being surrounded by groups of friends but still not being able to talk properly about how you feel, the suffocation and boredom you can feel in a small town, external and internal pressures, and the allure of being part of something more.

What authors have inspired you? 
                                                     
So many writers have inspired me over the years for many different reasons (and I’d probably answer this question differently every time I’m asked). But I’m going to name authors who inspired me at pivotal moments – Jill Murphy and Roald Dahl for firing up my imagination as a child; Janet Fitch because her lyrical writing style made me determined to write like that one day; Jack Kerouac for showing me it’s ok to break the rules and to ‘let go’ a bit; YA authors like Stephen Chbosky and John Green for reminding me about the importance of a great story and characters; and my Mum, (Rosemary), who showed me all of the aforementioned, and encouraged me to keep writing!

What’s next for you as a writer?

I am currently working on a second Young Adult novel!





Small Stones

By Victoria Gemmell


Back in 2014 I stumbled across a writing challenge, originating from a website called Writing Our Way Home. For the whole of January the challenge was to write a ‘small stone’, a definition of which is:

~ Notice one thing each day
~ Give your whole awareness to it
~ Write it down

Before I started this challenge I was already keeping an ‘inspiration’ type journal, capturing observations and snippets of everyday life, thoughts and ideas and so on. I used this challenge to form shorter, more poetic/creative observations and I still find it can be a good method to kick-start my creativity if I’m feeling a bit stuck!

Here are some of my ‘small stones’ gathered over the past few months (and one from my original 2014 challenge!):

Blank clock – the storm stole your hands and all that remains are meaningless dashes. How fragile time is, so easily altered or stopped by uncontrollable events, transforming the face of everything.

A clown shakes a charity tin, waving at passers by as his smile melts in the rain. Stamping a red shoe out of time with the radio tunes he shouts, “Spare a penny.”  For the lost.

Boarded up shop, missing letters from a decaying sign spelling out half a word. An interrupted sentence when there was so much more to say.

Yesterday’s confetti washed into gutters, pressed into stone steps , under shoes– red and white hearts –strength and vulnerability hiding in street corners.

Shredded plastic bags tangled in trees, ghosts waving in the dark. I used to carry you home.

Pink balloons tied to a red gate, blowing in the wind. The house looks deserted, lights out, silent, as if the balloons belong to a forgotten party.



Follow Victoria


Twitter: @VikkiGemmell

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, Margaret! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pleasure. Thank you for letting us read some of your work! Must be exciting, counting down until the big day :o) Good luck with your launch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Blunderground Featured Authors Club, Vikki! I think your 'small stones' could be the basis of short poems. Good luck with the book and your future writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eddie! I think they probably could -I developed one of my small stones from 2014 into a flash fiction story too. I enjoyed reading your poetry on here a few months ago.

      Delete
  4. Great interview, Margaret and Victoria. Enjoyed the insight into Follow Me and can't wait to read it. I've also read your book, Margaret, and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I also enjoyed reading Margaret's book:)

      Delete
  5. This was a wonderful and fascinating interview. Thank you very much, Margaret and Vikki. Follow Me sounds gripping, exciting and full of mystery, and I am already feeling drawn into Kat and Abby's story. I love the cover too, with its wonderful light, which also has the effect of drawing me inside. I shall look forward to reading Follow Me very much, especially as I admire and enjoy Vikki's lyrical and moving style of writing. I also would like to read Margaret's book too! Wishing you both great and well-deserved success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and leaving your lovely comment, Joanna! The cover art/photography is by the artist Ida Henrich - I like the way she has used the light too. Hope you enjoy Follow Me! Margaret's book is well worth reading, think you would enjoy it :)

      Delete
  6. Such a great interview and insight into the book and your process. I love these small stones so much too and can't wait to finally read 'Follow Me'. Thank you for inspiring me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, Thanks for dropping by and thanks so much for your lovely comment. Glad I've inspired you:)

      Delete
  7. This interview was fascinating for me.

    Having been hit by the suicide of a friend in my teenagers years, this topic has 'weight' for me. The questions are still with me after all these years. Some of those questions have been answered for me, but not many. I want to know how this books central character, deals with an event that hits her world with the force of a thousand atom bombs. I already know that she will never be the same again.

    As a teenager, I though everyone was having a wonderful time except for me. In my twenties, I found out that non of us were having a wonderful time. Does anyone, in their teens?

    I don't know.

    The Barn.

    I want to go there.

    My friend's suicide was incomprehensible to me. There just wasn't anywhere to put it. It didn't make sense, it was unreal feeling. My mind couldn't encompass it.

    I need to read this book.

    I want to know why Kat's suicided, if that's what she did. Was it a moment of unbearable anguish that made her do it, or was it the last stop on a painful journey?

    Thank you Margaret, thank you Victoria.

    Sorry if my comments aren't fully coherent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valis, Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I'm so sorry that you lost your friend at such a young age, and I can tell that this is something which has stayed with you. Your comment about thinking that everyone was having a wonderful time, then you realised actually no one really was, is so true - there are so many pressures at that age and I think young people should be encouraged more to talk openly and honestly.
    The mystery in this book ends with some answers for Kat. But sadly I know that isn't always the case in situations like you describe. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me.

    ReplyDelete